Monday, January 7, 2013

Toilet Training Vili

I had been dreading this process for a while.  Malachi was generally a placid, obedient kid, no real drama from him, so potty training was drama-free.  Vili, however, is a lot more ''spirited'' and I was worried toilet training would be opening a can of worms.  So we spent a week prepping him, telling him he was going to wear big boy undies, that he'd go to the toilet like Malachi, that he'd get treats when he went etc.  Him and I went on a special outing together to choose his undies and his reward treats.  We dusted off the ol' potty and we were ready to go.

Photobucket

Monday - He wet through every pair of pants and shorts he owned, didn't have a single success.  In fact, I would have him sitting on the toilet for about 20minutes, nothing, the second he got off and got his pants back on, wet.  Over, and over, and over again.  And he would SCREAM that he hates the toilet, he don't like the toilet, and I'd have to hold him down to sit on it.  So by about 10.30am, with no more pants to wear, he was back in nappies.

Tuesday - I wasn't game enough to try again.

Wednesday - A total repeat of Monday, accident after accident, except he did have ONE sucess.  By 1pm all 18 pairs of his pants and shorts were wet and he was back in undies.

Thursday - I hadn't done the washing so there was no pants for him to wear so we took a break.

Friday - I decided this would be my last try.  If he wasn't ready then we'd just try again in a few months.  Vili wakes up and says to me "Mummy, I need to go toilet", very much to my surprise.  So I take him, sit him down, and he goes, just like that.  I'm astonished.  I cautiously put on his pants.  About 20 minutes later he tells me again "Mummy, I need to go to the toilet".  It took Malachi about 6 months to get to the point where he would initiate the going to the toilet, so this was a big deal to me.  That day he had only 1 accident.

Photobucket

 In the 6 weeks since we started, he has had 6 accidents total, none of those in the last 2 weeks.  He is also dry during naps and at night (although I'm not brave enough to let him sleep in undies so he still sleeps in a nappy).  We've been on road trips, to the movies, and still he's dry.  It's totally flabbergasted me, that of all the children to be a super easy potty trainee, it's Vili.  Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful, he's now saving us about $15 a week.  I'm pretty proud of my 3 day wonder boy.  And he's pretty proud of himself too.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Line said...

Omg I've been having THE hardest time potty training finau! After throwing away a whole pack of underwear he ha pooped on (a pack of 10!) I gave up. it was gross, I was tired and sleep deprived, and I got impatient. I need to try again, but not looking forward to it.