Friday, April 6, 2012

Balloons over Waikato 2012

This has to be one of my favourite times of the year to be in Hamilton.  I looooooooooooove the balloon festival.  And my kids have inherited my enthusiasm.  Maybe if I ever won the lottery or some rich person died and left me a bunch of money, we could buy a balloon and live happily ever after.  Or we could take a trip to New Mexico for the World Hot Air Balloon festival.  That would be so cool.
For now we're just content to watch other people and their balloons.

I love that they let you get up close and personal with the balloons, that you can stand a meter away while they're inflating them, and see this giant blankets turn into 3d statues and then burst with fire and float away into the sky every so gracefully.  I love it!!
Vili was finally old enough to enjoy it this year which was awesome.  He says "ba-a" instead of balloon. lol.  And he now spends most mornings and a good part of the day checking all the windows in our house, just incase a balloon might drift past.
We went for the Grand Assension early in the morning.  We were lucky that Tui wasn't working that morning and could come with us.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photos just never do it justice.

Another morning we sat on the other side of the lake and watched them go up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The other night I was sitting on the computer when I could have sworn I could hear a dragon outside.  So I went out to investigate, and there directly above our garage was a balloon.  It was so close that the boys called out hello to the people in the basket and they heard them and called back.  It was amazing!!! I'm sad I didn't get a picture.
And then the finally the Night Glow.  It was so nice not to have a baby to breastfeed this year, meant I could sit and enjoy the whole thing without worrying about flashing 80,000 people.
Photobucket

No comments: