Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mission Potty - Day 1

I'm sick of buying two sets of nappies.  I was determined to never have two kids in nappies, and I would have potty trained Malachi earlier.  But we were moving and I didn't want to get it right, then move and have to start all over again.  So then we got here and its cold, so cold.  Idealy I'd potty train him when he could run round in the nude outside to save me washing clothes and cleaning the floor.  But summer seems so far away.....and he's so ready, has been for a while.  So today was the day. (Well, yesterday actually.)

We woke him up, went and bought undies and pull-ups for night time (car movie OF COURSE). I called my sister for some advice and encouragement. We showed him the potty, filled him full of juice and sat him there.  Took 20 minutes but he eventually did something.  We jumped and screamed and yelled for joy, which made him very excited.  And, he got a treat (a potty bear (gummy bear), one for wees and two for poos.).  Then I watched him like a hawke, and every time I saw him get still, I'd whip him off to the potty.  A couple of times he'd tell me he needed to go, after the fact.  Pull ups for naps and night.  The day wasn't so bad.


Day 1 stats - 7 sets of wet pants, bummer.  Luckily though I chose his thickest pants so there weren't any messes on the ground to clean up.  7 sucessful potty visits, 2 of them were "solid", which is meant to be the hardest.  So that was a positive.  I'm hoping tomorrow's stats are different, less pants to wash.....

If anyone has any tips or ideas, especially for boys, then let me know!!

4 comments:

Christina said...

Yay Malachi!

Just put the underwear on him and he should get it in a few days. If he doesn't then take a break and try again in a few weeks.

I'd skip the treats though.... we found it worked better when we got rid of the treat system.

Once he's started waking up from naps with a dry diaper buy a few cloth ones- like 2 (Sandy's by Mother-ease are awesome) and you'll never have to buy pull-ups again. SInce he'll be dry 99% of the time you won't have to worry about washing them.

Good luck!

Anderson Family said...

I tried to focus on staying dry or clean underwear. I would set the timer for 10 or 15 minutes and ask star if she was dry or clean. Asking to see here panties. Then I would give her a treat like a Minni marshmallow. Then I would ask her if she needed to go potty. If she said no then I would set the timer for another 10/15 minutes and follow the same steps above.

I would have her try by the third or forth time of asking if her panties were dry.

When she went potty in the potty I would give her another small treat. Like I said I tried to focus more on keeping the panties clean.

Good luck it gets easier each day!

Da Denninghoff's said...

That's super exciting! Sounds like he's doing really well. Don't get discourage when he makes mistakes, he's still learning. Eve is still getting the hang of it. I'm not sure how to Potty train a boy it may or may not be different. I didn't want to change 3 in diapers so we just dove into it. I got her, her favorite character "Dora". She really is obsessed! Got her Dora panties and a Dora potty seat cover. We had the little potty's but it just didn't seem to work. She likes sitting on the big potty like her parents. Which is fabulous because we don't have to clean anything. We did away with diapers all together even pull ups. So she wears panties for naps and night time, but we also have a plastic sheet cover. You gotta do what works for you! I just thought the pull ups were expensive. She has had a few accidents but over all she is doing better then I thought she would. Makes me think I could have started earlier:)

Elizabeth said...

Though I have no personal experience yet, I've heard that putting some Cheerios or Fruit-loop type cereal in the toilet so the boys have something to aim for makes it fun and easier for them to remember. Good luck! We miss you guys!!