Saturday, September 18, 2010

Potty Training day 2, 3 4....

Day 2
Frustrating.  I know he's just little, but part of me felt really frustrated that he didn't just get it straight away.  Dumb, I know.  Didn't help that SOMEONE sabotaged the whole process by putting him in pullups so he didn't have to take him to the toilet....thanks babe....  Tried my sister-in-laws tips about asking every 10 minutes if he's dry and giving him a treat if he is.  It worked at first, and then he started asking us to check him every 5 seconds so that he could have a treat.  Totally not the point son.
5 wet pants.

Day 3
So much better!! We altered the plan, adapted some of Kelly Andersons advice.  Asked him every 15 minutes if he's dry, if he is, give him a treat, and then every 2nd time (30 minutes) take him and sit him on the toilet, and every time we had "results".  There seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel.
Only 1 pair of wet pants - yey!!

Day 4
Did the same as yesterday, check every 15 minutes, toilet every 30 minutes, pullups for nap and night.  He still says he doesn't need to go every time, and he still does something every time.  So we haven't quite got it down pack yet.  But the good thing was....NO WET PANTS TODAY!!!

Today is Day 5, Sunday, didn't want to risk any accidents at church just yet, so pull-ups it is.  But I'm feeling so much better about it all. Those first fews days, after changing all those pants, and feeling like he just wasn't getting it, I wanted to throw in the towel and not bother. But man am I glad we stuck with it.  That's $40 a month we won't have to fork out for nappies for him any more.  That's like $500 a year.  Think of all the clothes I get instead..... :)

But good job Malachi, he's been such a good sport.  Bribbing him with lollies didn't hurt....but now my big boys a real big boy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm.... I'm somewhat curious as to how he will feel about his potty training being recorded on the web! I can't wait for his wedding slideshow and speech. Hahahaha

Anderson Family said...

Yeah! I am so glad you were having success. I potty tained Star when she was having a bladder infection. Which I didn't know at the time. Sometimes she wouldn't want to go even when she needed to and sometimes she had to go all the time. I remember feeling like you did at the beginning what am I am thinking she not ready. But with time she got it. Yeah Malachi got it too!

Troy, Tami, Linken and Pierson said...

Good for Malachi and you! Linken turns 2 next month and I want to start him on the potty. Glad your posting about it because it gives me some helpful hints and encouragement :)

Ashleigh said...

Yay for Malachi!