Friday, November 19, 2010

Nap Nap Nappies!

Aka Diapers.

We've gone green.
That's right, we now use re-useable nappies.
Been doing it for a week now.



I always wanted to do it with Malachi, but not having your own laundry in your own house put me off big time. But I was determined to do it next time.

Reasons?

Once I learned that nappies would never disintegrate, that they sat forever in a landfill some where, and imagined 2+ years x 10 children (a woman can dream ok?!) which equals like a bazillion nappies, and if everyone else in the world is doing that, it isn't cool.  Hasn't anyone seen Wall-E?
So that was my initial drive.
Then I had to actually buy nappies for a child for 2 years.  And realised that it was this endless black hole that sucked money into its abis.  I calculated that we roughly spent about $3350 on nappies for Malachi.  That's ridiculous.  Especially since all that money is now sitting in a dump somewhere.  So I was then determined to use cloth nappies to save us some cash.
The final push was when I discovered some research from both here in NZ and in Britain about how disposable nappies raises the temperature of "things", which has been shown to greatly increase infertility and cancers in men.

Now some(one) has asked about the actual factual run down of how this all works. There's the outer nappies, which look and work just like huggies ones, they have snaps that you use to make them the right size for you, meaning you can use the same nappies from birth to potty training.  The outside has a coating that makes them water proof, but without being plastic, so they breathe, hence keeping the temperature down.  The inside is fleecey, and has a pocket where you insert a thick pad like piece, made of super absorbent material.  When they've "soiled", you take it off, flush the goods away, rinse the remainder off, put them in a bucket, and then at the end of the day you wash them all together in a regular wash, and then they're good as new.  Its super simple and easy and I would totally recommend it, especially if you have little boys.

Now to be totally honest, we don't use them ALL the time.  He still wears dispossible nappies at night - I don't have to get up in the night for him now, so I didn't want to start because he's got cloth nappies (they can't hold as much and you can't get away with leaving them all night).  So we still need to buy some nappies.  But buying 7 a week instead of 50 isn't bad.

So there we go.

It wasn't as scary and gross as I thought it would be.  And it's not hard at all.

I'm converted.

Vili likes it too.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You had me at the x10 and "things", never scientists...sometimes they're crazy. Ha :)
And I'm some glad some(one) asked for details ;)

Roxanibus said...

good on you, I have been thinking about it for a while too but isn't it expensive to get started with cloth? And we don't have a washing machine inside and it costs $1.75 a load. But I feel guilty about disposables sitting rotting forever!

kuaback said...

great job sarah..you know i've always thought of that since seeing a documentary abt nappies on TV, but never actually bought the nappies. I promise I will start. Disposables is just too damn convenient but very bad for the environment. Thanks for this..this is my extra push..lol
hope you and the boys are great

Christina said...

Welcome to the cloth world! We've been using them for 2 years and my favourites are Sandy's by Mother-ease with a Bummis/Kushies/or Thirsties cover- they never leak!

Anderson Family said...

I also started using cloth dippers. I like you use both mainly cloth during the day. I use disposable at night and when I go out. like if I am going to be out a long time and I don't really want to deal with cloth. Sometimes I use cloth when I am out just depends how I feel. way to go. My look kind of like your but red. I bought them really cheap through my sister so they save us major money.

Stephanie Vogel said...

Good for you guys!! Besides they are much cuter!!

Ashleigh said...

Those are cute :)
I am not brave enough. Perhaps on the next one...?

Line said...

Diapers ARE money-sucking, it's ridiculous! But I never, ever wanted to use reuseable ones. But now that I now someone who uses them, and LIKES them, I'll consider it. No promises, though. :)