Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween 2011

Halloween in NZ is a totally different ball game to in the states.  In most areas they just dont do it. Period. There aren't any shops decorated, no haunted houses down the street. Nothing.  It's actually kinda refreshing.  I mean, I know the dressing up part is fun, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like it was just a comerical excuse for kids to be greedy and eat alot of candy.  And all the demon, scarey stuff is not exactly kid friendly.  Of course when I lived in the states I was all for it, but now that I'm out of the motherland, I guess I feel differently.
Anyway.
My SIL and I were talking about it all and we decided that we never wanted our children to feel like they were missing out.  And so we started a new family tradition.  Of having a non-scary Halloween party.  The kids dress up, we play games, they get some lollies.  All the best parts of a 'traditional' Halloween without any of the spooky stuff.
And it was awesome.  It was exactly what we wanted it to be, and everyone had a blast.

Malachi was "...a builder man like uncle matt!", and Vili was a cowboy (not a boy cow, as i had to keep explaining to his cousins).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we had some princesses, fairies, a superhero, an elephant, an ewok, and spiderman.

Photobucket

We did bowling, apple bobbing, egg and spooon race, balloon race, digging in slime, wrap a granny, and a treasure hunt for the kids to find their treats. Vili of course participated in none of the games because he was crying the whole time, darn you blasted teeth!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last minute I decided to dress up too.

Photobucket

Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: