Friday, September 18, 2009

A loss

Today I recieved the news that our dear friend, Amanda Gunter, passed away this morning after a car accident. I'm still sort of in shock and disbelief, and can't stop shaking, but I want to put my emotions into words in order to help pull myself together a little.

We met the Gunters here at BYUH. Levin was in my classes (a fellow psychology major), and they lived above us in L building. We were pregnant and due at the same time, Amanda gave birth to Ansley 2 days before Malachi was born, so we were hospital buddies too. After Levin graduated they moved back to North Carolina where they've been for the last year.

Amanda was the most amazing woman, she somehow was able to put in 110% of herself into everything she did - as a wife, a mother, a friend, a neighbor, a member of the church, everything. She was superwoman. She had such a great spirit about her, so willing to share with others. We spent many nights together while she taught me to make a blog, sew a nursing cover, make halloween decorations. She was so talented, I have always been envious of her creativity, and her shear love for life.

Amanda leaves behind her husband and little girl, but took with her their unborn child. I guess, as least she didn't go alone. My heart breaks for Levin and my mind can't even begin to comprehend how he will move on from this. I shed tears for sweet little Ansley, who will grow up without her amazing mother in her life. If there was ever a time I would ask God, "Why?", it would be now. She was just beginning her life, and it ended so quickly. But thinking about the person Amanda is, I know she's on the other side and already started to be an amazing missionary and helper for our Father in Heaven. She's probably looking down right now, with that beaming smile on her face saying "Guys, don't be sad, it's all part of the plan!"

Things like this make you stop in your tracks and quickly re-evaluate your priorities in life. That could have been me. It could have been Tui and Malachi left behind. It really affirms to me how short this life is, how we have no control over when it ends. All we can control is what we do with the time we have. Amanda will be able to stand tall, her head held high, and say, "Father, I have done my best". Because she had.

Amanda, you will be missed. You have touched and inspired me and I am so grateful for the life you lived. We pray for your family, especially for Levin and Ansley, that they will be encircled by the arms of angels and carried through this hard time.

I am grateful for my testimony of the gospel. I'm grateful for Amanda's testimony, that she shared so willingly, through words and actions. I know our Heavenly Father loves us and he has a plan for us. I know our lives are this short spec of time that we must never ever waste or take for granted. Every single day is a blessing. I pray that I can be a little more like Amanda, full of love, and joy, and firm in my testiomy of the gospel.

Until we meet again my friend....

oxo

13 comments:

S.N.D said...

I can't believe this sudden news. I've known them from 6th ward.I don't even know what to feel nor to say right now. I'll pray for the family. But it's all in God's wisdom.

Latisha said...

You don't know me, but I am Amanda's cousin-in-law. I saw your link on her blog. I have to tell you what a wonderful job you did in eulogizing Amanda and saying what so many of us are thinking today. Thank you.

Cat said...

I took a lot of classes with Levin. This is really sad news. I didn't know Amanda very well, but I always marveled of how happy she was all the time. We will keep her family in our prayers!

Unknown said...

i cried all the way to the airport (to pick up my bro-in-law... again!) today when i heard the news. i've been scolding myself all day for not taking the time to get to know amanda better, and i'm just praying that levin will make it through all of this. the most amazing people are the ones who have the hardest trials, and the gunter family (sad to say) is no exception. thanks for your blog; you put everything so well together -- mine would've just been jumbles and jumbles.

Andrew R said...

Sarah, we could not have said it any better. We too are still in shock over losing Amanda. I feel I can add nothing to your wonderful eulogy - Amanda was such an amazing person with so many talents and one of the most giving spirits of anyone I know. I'll always remember our monthly haircut appointments with the charge of "whatever you can afford." She truly was a sweetheart and Christina and I are absolutely heartbroken. Our hearts are even more heartbroken for Levin and her toddler Ansley. I wish there was something we could all do for them. Hope you, Tui, and Malachi are doing well, you guys realy look like a beautiful family in all your pictures.

-Andrew & Christina Rosebrough

Josh, Hayley, and Baby Channing said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. Josh and I have been very shaken by this incredibly heartbreaking news. Your words brought me so much comfort.

Brett said...

This was a beautiful post. I'm grateful for the limited experience I had with Amanda, she was a special person.

Ally and Moema said...

Thank you Sarah, you are better at seeing the big picture than I have been this week.

Troy, Tami, Linken and Pierson said...

Beautiful post, Sarah. Absolutely beautiful.

Karessie said...

sarah! love you :) :)

Line said...

Awww, Sarah what a beautiful tribute to your friend. My heart breaks for her husband and daughter...

LANEA said...

HI Brundots,

I just wanted to say that i really loved the tribute to your friend. I got really really teary and I'm not sure why, but I think it has a big deal to do with the gospel. Me and Jerome have two months before our temple sealing, and I think your description of your friend and life really touched my heart ;) ;)

Tara Steinbeck said...

This is exactly how I would describe Amanda and the life she so proudly led. I lived with Amanda for 6 months in 2005 when she came to Australia as an International student. The special impact she had on my life will never be forgotten and I'm blessed to have shared her friendship. Thankyou for your beautiful words...