Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rugrat

We have been visiting the pet shop alot, partly so I can do exposure therapy on my kids with the animals (completely unethical, I know) which has been working really well, and partly coz its winter so anything warm and inside and free is a must for us.  During our visits we've talked about getting a pet, maybe a bird or some fish, but decided that a guinea pig would be perfect, coz its small enough that the boys could hold it and play with it, it would live completely outside, and have very small upkeep costs.  And then a few days later, like mana from heaven, one of the girls I visit teach (always pays off doing your VT!) said she wanted to get rid of her guinea pig and did we want it.  Heck yes!  Totally free, which made it even better, cage, food and everything.  And so we now have our own little guinea pig  It's a "she" and she was originally called baa-baa, but we decided to rename her.  I let Malachi pick the name, and if you know Malachi you can probably guess what his first pick was - "LIGHTENING MCQUEEN!!!!" Once I advised him that it was a girl he changed his mind and decided on Rugrats (I dropped the s so it didn't sound fobby lol).
And there we have it.  Both the boys love her.  As soon as Malachi gets home he asks to hold her, and he sits there patting her saying "It's ok, its ok. Ohhhhh, what a good girl."  Any chance Vili gets he makes a break for the door and is out there banging on her cage, which I'm sure she doesn't appreciate. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm hoping having her will help to teach my kids about the responsibility of caring for an animal.  And that not all animals will kill you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how cute. But it is "legal' to keep it outside in the flipping cold?

LANEA said...

I LOVE GUINEA PIGS!!! They squeal for food when they're hungry and they're so easy to take care of! just make sure the crows and magpies don't get them lol...

SiOaNa :) said...

That is so cute. Now Matt wants to get a dog for his bday...geez...lol. You guys should have named her Sally..haha.