Monday, August 1, 2011

Day trip to the snow

Last week I was inspired to take a day trip down to the mountain to take the kids to the snow.  It was totally last minute, and by far one of the best ideas I've had recently.  We overloaded the car, and headed south.  I don't know the last time I was so excited to be driving somewhere.  We took my SIL and Hannah with us.  We made it down there to find that it was snowing, like actually snowing.  I've been to the snow a million times, but I've never seen it snow.  It was so cool.  Except when it blew in the kids eyes and made them cry, not so cool then.  It also meant that i couldn't actually take my camera with us to the mountain, coz snow melts into water and my camera is allergic to water.  So the only pictures I got were in the carpark when we arrived and before we left (although right when it was time to leave I realised I could use the umbrella to protect my camera, and yes, i did look silly standing in the snow with an umbrella....).
But man the kids loved it!  Went sliding around, eating snow, throwing snow, making snow angels, building snowmen, riding on the free ski lift.  What a day.  Even little Vili enjoyed himself, didn't want to be held, wanted to run and flop on the snow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mmmmm....snow.....

Photobucket

My awesome snow angel.
Photobucket

Our snow man.  We had to improvise for his face, but I think he's awesome.  The kids were done with the snow in their eyes however and smiling was out of the question.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Driving was interesting.  Why people live somewhere where they have to deal with this every day during winter....I have no idea.
Photobucket

Pretty view.  My SIL made my hat for me while we drove down there - yes, she is awesome.
Photobucket

Afterwards we went down to the hot pools in Turangi, as per tradition.  When we'd go to the snow as kids we would ALWAYS go to these hot pools afterwards.  It was packed, but soooooo nice.  We had to drag the kids out kicking and screaming (litterally).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

What a day!
We've decided to make it tradition to visit the snow every year.  As Malachi said, "That was a awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome one!"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Brrr

SiOaNa :) said...

What a fun day!! Glad to see your hubby actually wore jeans to the snow and not shorts :)

Line said...

fun! i was a little confused at first, tho when you said you guys drove to "see the snow." for some reason i thought you could just look out your window and see the snow. haha! i knew as a kid that it snowed in NZ but only in some parts, but i guess i've been living in utah too long lol

Christina said...

SO funny! It snows October to April here and I HATE it- but it's where the jobs are!

Looks like a ton of fun!

Leisa Tapia said...

awe!!! I miss you guys!! and Sarah - you look beautiful!!! fun couple posts - the pool to the snow. I love it!! Miss little Malachi, he's looking so old lately :(
miss you guys a lot!!!

The Houghtons said...

What an adventure! Watching snow fall is a magical experience!