Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sunday ''Do-Box'' - Family Tree

So for a while I've been feeling like Sunday is a "Don't" day for us - all I'm ever saying to Malachi is "no, we don't do that on Sunday" (riding bikes, going to the pool, watching TV) etc.  And I didn't want Sunday to turn into something Malachi dreads.  So after looking at a couple of blogs I came up with the idea to make a Sunday Do-Box - a box of really cool, fun things that Malachi CAN do on sundays.  To make them extra special they can only be done on Sunday's, so that he'll look forward to the sabath to do all the stuff in his box.  I bounced ideas off my Mum and it's all slowly coming together.  I'll update as things get added in.

First completed was the family tree.

This took a bit of time and organising, but so, so worth it!  There's a big one that we keep on the wall at home and a smaller one for Malachi to take to church (to replace the 30 cars he usually plays with in sacrament meeting).  There's a space for all the faces, that have velcro on the back and Malachi has to put them all in the right place.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


This has been a huge sucess for more then one reason.  It takes him a good 15minutes to do, and as he goes he says everyone's names (My favourite is when he says "Uncle Huuuuuubit") and who they are (Mummy's sister, Daddy's Mummy, Aunty Jessie's children etc).  Before doing this I had never seen what Tui's grandfather's looked like, so that was cool for me.  And Malachi now gets to see that his family is bigger then the ones he sees here. And Vili stands there for ages looking at it, gooing and gaaaing and pointing to people. It's so sweet.  We're gunna be together for eternity, might as well get started learning everyone's names now!

4 comments:

Christina said...

I LOVE this!!! How did you make it?

Roxanibus said...

I love it too! Do you have like a template or something? What a great idea! I would really like a copy so I can make one for Ka'ihi. Awesome!

Line said...

ooohh, i love this!! i am totally going to try to copy! :)

My Thriving Journey... said...

Sarah... you are amazing! Love it!