Thursday, February 25, 2010

A night of Culture

As time is coming to an end on our adventure here in Hawaii, I've started to think about some of the things I'll miss the most about being here, ways I've been blessed for being here, and trying to really grasp a glimpse of the Vision of this special place.  And one of the things I think I've loved and appreciated most here at BYUH has been the diversity.  I know that sounds generic, believe me, I worked in Admissions and i wrote that exact thing on posters, banners and brochures.  But it really is something unique about this place that can't be found anywhere else.  Sure you can go anywhere and SEE other cultures, but no where else can you be and FEEL of each different culture, and be able to appreciate the best in them because of the gospel that unites people, beyond cultural boundaries.  I remember once looking at my husband and 2 of his closest friends.  He's this 250lb Tongan, then there's this white as can be American from Washington state, and a skinny little Asian guy from Mongolia.  Where else in the world could these three guys come together and be such good friends?  No where else.  And I'm truely grateful that I've been able to be here and to appreciate the diversity of the world and the uniqueness of each culture that Heavenly Father so intuitively gave us all.  It's made me appreciate things about others that I normally wouldn't have, and also appreciate things about myself too.

All that being said....

Last week Tui took me to watch this group that came to BYUH, "The Young Artists of China".  At first I wasn't keen to go, thinking it would just be a repeat of culture night.  But we went, and I tell you, I was blown away.  

First this choir of young chinese kids sang.  And they were amazing.  So composed and precise.  And so cute!! There was this one little chubby girl that looked like Kung Fu Panda and I wanted to squeeze her so bad.  They did such an amazing job.

And then there was a group from a place called "Inner Mongolia" which I guess is a city in China that is estentially Mongolians; live Mongolian culture, of Mongolian decent.  And I have to tell you that I was absolutely blown away by these people.  Despite the fact that one of our best friends here is Mongolian, I really didn't know alot about the Mongolian Culture.  I've always loved their language (I think it sounds like the snake language off Harry Potter), but their music and dance was just out of this world.  It was so different to what I'm used to; poi balls, drums and grass skirts.  They danced with glass bowls on their heads and these feather hats, made this didgeridoo noises with their voices, danced about horses, I just loved it.
Go here to look at some of the pictures the school took, coz i forgot my camera.
http://kealakai.byuh.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=61&Itemid=92

But it was such a great night and I'm so glad we went.  And I love that our Father in Heaven made us all so so different.  It makes life interesting and exciting, and very cool.

No comments: