Saturday, June 30, 2012

Leilani's Blessing

We had Lani's blessing here at home, to accomodate my Dad's family who aren't members and don't feel comfortable in our Chapels. My brother's family came up from Wellington, and my Nana came down from Auckland with my Dad's brother and his daughter, along with my parents from Auckland, and the rest of my family that lives here in Hamilton .  Our little house was bursting at the seams but it was so nice to have everyone here (almost everyone.  My 2 little brothers weren't able to make it which was sad and they were truely missed).  It was short and sweet, we sang Families can be together forever (well, everyone else sang it, I managed the first line before my eyes started sweating), had the blessing, given by Tui, and then had some food.  Having it in our home I think made it more intimate and personal.  The spirit was really strong and I hope that my non-member family felt how special it was.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Grandma Mele (Daddy's Mother) and Great- Grandma Park (Mummy's Mother's Mother)

Photobucket
4 Generations

Photobucket Photobucket
Nana Brunton (Mummy's Father's Mother) and Grandma & Grandad Brunton (Mummy's Parents)

Photobucket
Those who participated in the blessing circle - Great Grandpa Park, Uncle John, Daddy, Uncle Nick, Uncle Matt, Grandad Brunton
Photobucket Photobucket
Lani with her Mother, Grandmother's, and 2 of her 3 living Great Grandmothers.

As I looked at this tiny little girl, a beautiful girl sent for me to raise, wearing this beautiful white dress, I thought of this poem.  I thought of the blessing her Daddy had just given her, thought of the white dresses we as her parents hoped for her to wear one day and I became overwhelmed with the responsibility and blessing it was to be her mother.  I didn't think I would feel differently about Lani, I thought that the feeling of love I have for my children would be the same for all of them, despite their gender.  But it's different for my little girl.    My boys I feel like I need to prepare them, strengthen them, arm them.  With Leilani I feel like I need to protect her more, keep her closer.  So that this isn't the last white dress I see her wear.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

she is SO darling, i love her i want to squeeze her! love you guys and miss you HEAPS!