Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Road Tripping

We travel around a bit.  Probably more then most people do.  I just hate the idea that there's stuff out there to see and do and to think that we're not taking advantage of it.  I'm all about creating memories for my kids.  As a child we traveled around a bit too, but we just went from point A to point B, we never got to stop along the way.  My Dad knew where we wanted to go and he wanted to get there as fast as possible.  So we have made a point to make sure we do stop along the way, see the little towns, the look outs, the markets, the historical sites etc. 

Last month we took a trip down to Wellington to see my brothers.  But true to form we stopped along the way both there and back.  The journey becomes almost as exciting as the actual holiday.

On the way down we stopped at the honey hive, huka falls, and the army museum.  None of them cost us anything, but the kids loved them all.  Infact they tend to talk about these sorts of places more then the ones that have cost us money, go figure.

  
 

We passed by this helicopter at a heli-tours place.  I have promised the boys that when they're 12 I will take them on a helicopter ride.  (Let's hope they forget.)
 
 
 
They were excited to see the mountain we'd played on a few weeks before.
 
 


On our way back home we stopped in Levin at the best playground I've ever been to.  It was huge, had everything you could ever have wanted, so well maintained, had a mini train, toilets (which are so important!), it was just fantastic.  We are definitely stopping there again.
  
 


Then we stopped again in Palmerston North, my old stomping grounds, and went to the esplanade.  I remember everything being alot bigger as a child.  But I love seeing my kids enjoy things that I enjoyed as a kid.  They had mini trains there too so we went for a ride.  By far the best miniature train ride we've ever been on (and we've been on a few!).  It was 20min long, went over roads, in tunnels, through trees, by a lake. It was so good.  We also went to the wind farm to see where all our power comes from.  Those things were HUGE!!! Ridiculously huge.  It was such a cool thing for the kids to see.  Another one on our list to visit again
 
 
 
 


I love our road trips.  Our kids travel so well, and I think it has something to do with the face that the trips themselves are so exciting, not just the destinations.  Yey for creating childhood memories.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: