Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr


Ok I've never done this before, blog about annoying things. I know that lots of people do it, but I always figured it was a waste of space. That's what your spouses are for - venting!!! :) But seen as this blog is our families journal, this is something that needs recording.

Anyone who's been a student at BYUH knows the frustration of having to deal with the Admin department. It seems like none of them know what their job is, or anyone else's for that matter. You have a problem with insurance so you go to the insurance office and get told they can't help you, they send you off to some other department, you wait in line, only to find out they aren't the right people to help you, so you're shipped off somewhere else where you wait 20 minutes to see the person, they tell you they can't help you, and then after this wild goose chase you end up back right where you started. (I know at this point, all students and previous students are nodding their heads and remembering the agony).

And then there are the policies and procedures that make absolutely no sense at all, its like they do it because they've always done it, not because there's some logical reason for it. There are two in particular that are really getting to me right now.

1 - At the BYUH swimming pool, you're not allowed to use any sort of floatation device, including floaties that babies sit in, arm rings for tolders etc, because.....wait for it.....it's a safety issue...??!!!!!! Hello, they're safety devices!!!! They help make the children more safe!!!! It's a whole lot safer to have Malachi in a floaty ring with me swimming next to him, then me holding him, if i go under, we're both going under. When i asked about why this was a rule, (and I've asked on more then one occasion) the life guards shrug their shoulders or tell me, "We don't make the rules, we just enforce them." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 - We are currently in the process of applying for visa's, passports etc for our up coming travel, and so we need passport pictures taken. Tui needed two for his visa, and I needed 5, 2 for my visa, 2 for my passport, and 1 for Tui's visa to show how pretty his wife is :). Usually they charge you $5 at BYUH to get the two pictures printed. A little steep considering it's two tiny little photos and it costs like $0.09 at anywhere else to print a regular photo. But you do what you gotta do right? So when i asked to have 5 photos printed i was told.......wait for it......it would cost me $15!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me, for 5 itsy bitsy photos that didn't even take up one page?!?!?! They told me I'd be having 3 sets of 2 @ $5 each which is $15. That is just plain robbery!! I asked why it would cost that much and she told me that the rule is $5 for a set of 2 photos and i would need 3 sets to get my 5 pictures. I said it to her a couple of times out loud, just to make sure she understood what she was asking of me, "5 photos for $15....". Alas, policy and procedures prevailed.

I have loved my time here at BYUH and I'm so grateful for the education i received and the experience I've had that have help to shape and change me, but there are some days this place just makes me want to scream!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............................

9 comments:

Da Denninghoff's said...

I had to chuckle at this post, because I know exactly what you mean:) By the way the other night Mark and I made the dish that Tui makes every Sunday, The Pumpkin with coconut and chicken. It was yummy. Thank you for the idea

Anonymous said...

man just reading this post is making me ticked off just thinking about all those times they've screwed us over. Last time I went they charged me $20 for my passport pictures. I feel your pain sis.

S.N.D said...

Amen sistah.I can share lots and lots of frustrating experiences I had with the Admin and all that.yeah we love byuh and all but some of the policies is really just dumb... And with the POOL issue that is a great example of another stupid policy maybe they want to keep the water safe more than the kids who are going swim there...

D&J Savaiinaea said...

Okay!! That is totally rediculous!! What do they want??? For a kid to drown or something!!! This is totally unacceptable! I am going to email the PC Council! I can't believe that!

Unknown said...

yes, i know. except when i went with my sister on monday to take her passport photos, and their printer was broken. so needless to say, we didn't get pics from them at all.

wait a minute, i'm getting released??? how bad am i -- i was gonna ask bishop if i could. i feel guilty now!

Maverick and Aissa Mitton said...

I FEEL YOU!!! my graduation is being pushed back to dec because i have to take ONE class!!! so despite the thousands of dollars that my 16 relatives have already used to purchase tickets, they still wont let me walk in june which is my initial graduation time! but as everyone know...there are a lot of people who walk before they graduate. SOOOO ANNOYED!!!

Greg Dowden said...

I am totally laughing right now because the stupidity of it all still baffles me! I totally feel your pain and I swear you were talking about my whole scholarship experience when you opened with the various lines you have to wait in, only to end up where you started in the first place. But the pool thing is too much! Whoever wrote the policies and procedures for that school was smoking crack! (Which is against the honor code i think! LOL!)But what can you do...it's BYU-Hawaii! You gotta love it! :)

Line said...

Lol, luckily Provo has rules that make A LOT more sense. Even as someone that grew up in Laie, there are so many things that just don't make sense to me... Like why ppl there think it's ok to drive around with a baby NOT in the carseat.

Anyway... I guess it makes up for the things that Laie has that Provo doesn't right? Like how you can walk to the beach after a hard day at school and relax... Never been able to do that in Provo!

Sibbett_Ohana said...

OH MY GOODNESS...WHY DID I NOT THINK TO BLOG ABOUT THIS...FINALLY SOMEONE PUBLICLY SHARES...I could not stand how lazy BYUH hmmm...let me think about this...workers???no maybe its admin!!! yeah... I can't ever forget the many times i was so frustrated with all their laziness and stupid policies that they don't seem to know themselves. HMMMM....I think they need to throw all their phones in the offices away cause 1. They never answer and two...they don't know how to use them instead they make u walk around the campus when they could just call the next office to answer simple questions students have... Okay sorry for the novel... I guess i can feel your pain girl...you are not alone.