Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crock Pot Conquered

Ok, so maybe a crock pot doesn't exactly seem like a Mt Everest that needs to be conquered, but the thing is, I have never used a crock pot before - ever.  My mother never used one, so I didn't even have the slightest idea of how to use it, let along what sort of stuff you cook in it.  We were given this really nice crock pot for a wedding gift, but after it sat in my cupboard for 2 years, I finally donated it to a family that would love and use it. But after eating a delicious St Patty's day feast with the Houghtons, compliments of their crock pot, I decided to be brave and tackle this thing head on.

So, here is it, my first (and probably last) crock pot meal.  Traditional corned beef with potatos, carrots and cabbage.  Although it's not much to look at, it sure as heck tasted good!!


The verdict on crock pots?  It was really easy to use, almost like cooking for dummies.  But it took so long!! I don't ever think about what we're gunna eat until 5pm that, which doesn't give me much time to use the crock pot for 8-10hrs.  So I think I'll stick with my microwave and leave the crock pot to the professionals, or at least to those who are good enough to plan their meals in advance.

8 comments:

SiOaNa :) said...

I love crock pots...lol. Cos u could never mess up with that. You throw everything in there and let the crock do the rest....ha ha.

Anderson Family said...

When I was pregnant with my last baby and we lived in Washington,it was a life saver. I didn't have the energy to prepare dinner but I had the energy to prepare a good meal in the morning and it was so hot no air conditioning with 90 to 100 degree weather. I loved the crock pot
I would be willing to give you some easy good recipes if you change your mind and want to cook some more in the Crock Pot!

Ashleigh said...

I LOVE crockpots! They're SO good on Sundays, throw it in in the morning before church and by 5:00 there's a steaming meal ready for you...even if you've been napping all afternoon! Yum!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty I've mentioned the necessity of having a crock pot!!!

Moran Family said...

When you go home to NZ and your hubby is called into the Bishopric you will love coming home from spending most of your day at the chapel and having your food cooked and ready to go hehehe! As for planning your meals, I suggest it highly especially with two little ones. We save over $100 a month because we plan a menu, not to mention all the gas going back and forth to the store to pick up forgotten items. Don't give up on the crockpot idea entirely that is how we cook Kalua pork coz we don't have the resources to cook a whole pig in our yard.

Bianca said...

Yeah I was the same I had never used a crockpot before, I think mum used one when us kids were little but in the end mum had too meny kids and a crock pot couldnt feed 7 hungry kids!!

But in saying that my parents bought me and Vinny one as a wedding present and even though I had no idea how to use it I quickly figured it out cos we dont (and still dont!) have an oven in the place we are living at so its perfect to cook those pot roasts and roast chicken that you just cant cook without an oven.

I think one of Vinnyz fav meals is when I cook a roast beef in the crock pot hehe, and as everybody has said you gotta luv them on sundayz when you come home from a long day at church and there is a nice hot meal ready to be eaten!!!
:) :)

Line said...

I LOVE crockpot cooking. Everything always comes out perfectly when cooked in there, especially meat. I only started using a crock pot a couple yrs ago because like you, my mom never used a crock pot so I never thought it was necessary. But now I have a handful of crockpot recipes that I love. And it's SO EASY. All of the recipes I have take about 20 min prep time (some shorter, some a little longer, but never more than 1/2 hr or so), and once you start using it regularly, it doesn't even seem like you have to plan ahead. And yes, it's great on Sundays especially.

Brian & Lisa said...

whats a crockpot??? haha. i want to try that one day.