Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rotorua Marathon

Yesterday we traveled to Rotorua to be support for my brother John running his first Marathon.  I could not have anticipoated how much of an emotional day it would be.  Now it's no secret that John is my favourite sibling, we were often mistaken for twins as children.  We shared a bedroom by choice, and just seemed to be on the same wave length.  I love him to bit.

On the drive down there I was thinking about what an amazing thing it is to run a marathon.  There's no prize, other then your own self satisfaction, there are months and months of hard training involved, that no one is making you do except yourself.  What a huge personal accomplishment.  Before the race started I was already in tears.  I am so, so proud of my brother.  He worked so hard for this one day, and even though the day didn't go as he'd planned, he finished it.  John, you are now offically a maraton runner.

Here are some pictures from the day.
(I was lucky enough to borrow my brother in law's father's paparatzi lense, but I should have practiced with it first coz some of the pictures didn't turn out, due to my lack of experience.)

Photobucket


And they're off!

Photobucket


Cheerleader # 1.

Photobucket


Photobucket


The marathon track went around the Rotorua Lake, so at least it was awesome scenery for the 42kms.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Cheerleader # 2.

Photobucket

Cheerleader # 3

Photobucket

The whole cheer squad.

Photobucket


Dad drove up and met up with us.  John had some issues with cramping in his legs and had to walk the last 10kms, but Dad was there to support him.  I ran with John for about a km, but my jandels just weren't cutting it so Dad took over.

Photobucket


The cool thing is, Dad ran this same marathon 20 years ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am so proud of my brother. (I promise I started the day modestly, but running in a dress just didn't work out well.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the race was done we all went to Polynesian Spa's for a soak in their mineral hot pools.  Great day.

3 comments:

SiOaNa :) said...

I teared up reading this blog and he's not even my brother. LOL. That's a great accomplishment and I have to agree that you and this particular brother actually do look like twins :)

Unknown said...

Cool. Still think 42km is crazy, but cool.
What's the " I'll take out your component " sign?

Roxanibus said...

LOL you are so funny. Jandals. Good on him! What an accomplishment