Sunday, July 28, 2013

Auckland Vaycay

In the second week of the school holidays we went and stayed with my parents for a few nights.  They live on an airforce base, so naturally the kids went and visited Grandpa at work, and he took them into the hangers to see the planes being repaired, and took them out on the runway to see a plane taking off.  I think Lani loved it the most (she's really into vehicles right now). 


We took a day trip up to the Waiwera hot pools with my Dad's military pass (gotta love military benefits!).  It was a beautiful, sunny winter day and the kids loved it.  I have to admit, I loved it too.  I am a water baby through and through and could have stayed all day.  Lani had been sick with tonsilitis the week before so we were worried about how she'd do, but she was in heaven and you wouldn't have known she was sick.  The kids had fun on the slides, and especially loved the movie pool.  Half of the place was closed coz it's winter, so we will definately be going back in the summer time so we can enjoy all of it.

 
 
  
  
 
  

Vili FINALLY got the confidence to swim on his own with his floaties.  And once he got the hang of it, he wanted to do it again and again.  He was so proud of himself.  Hopefully now I'll be able to take the 3 kids to the pools on my own, now that I don't have to hold 2 kids. 

Waiting for the movie to start in the movie pool.
 
  

They had jumping castles too so once they were done swimming we moved on to them.

The drive there is about 45 min up the coast and we stopped to look out at the beautiful Whangaparoa bay.  Another thing added to our summer to-do list.
 


When Dad would come home from work he'd fire up his motorbike and take the kids for laps around the house.  He used to do this with us when we were kids.  I love that traditions can be passed down like that, and that my kids can enjoy the same simple pleasures that I did as a child.


Making train tracks with Grandad.  Dad and Tui took them on a train ride too which of course they loved.

The real reason for us heading to Auckland was so that I could attend Time Out For Women with my Mum and Sister.  I had been to them at BYUH before and loved them so was excited to go.

My sister, Mum and Me before we headed out.

It was such an uplifting day.  I wish now that'd I'd ordered the DVD of it so I could watch it again and again and share it with everyone.  The theme for the conference was 'Higher' which was very fitting.  Here are a few of the things that I got out of it.
- I learnt that I need to "say love"- that my words have a scientific effect on other people. 
- I learnt that I have a choice in EVERYTHING, and that I need to be brave and wise enough to make the choices that I have in front of me.  I mostly need to choice to 'show up' and not just turn up, but be present emotionally and spiritually, as well as physically, in everything I do.
- I learnt that the atonement is not just a remedy for overcoming sin, but that if I truely use the atonement, it will cause my life to change, cause me to change, to let the savior change me.
- I learnt that fear is the opposite of faith, and that God has commanded us to not fear.  I need to overcome my fears in order to reach the full potential that God sees in me.

And to top it all off, we happened to be sitting in the row behind some of my old roomates from highschool, including my best friend that I haven't seen in months! So we had a little highschool reunion, right there in Aotea center.  It was so good.

I can't remember the last time I had such a great weekend.  I got to be with my family and have my spirit uplifted and encouraged.  What more could I have asked for?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: