Friday, July 5, 2013

Tonga - Home coming celebrations

In honor of Siope finishing his mission, the ward put on a dance for him.  It was held outside in the tennis court, which was a GENIUS idea because then it didn't get too hot. The YSA did a few items which were awesome, and so many people came to show their love and support for Siope.  It was so cool.

The kids in yet another set of their matching clothes from their Aunty.
 
 

Getting their groove on. 

Malachi with some of his little friends from the village.
 

This was the first day Lani really started to feel better after being sick, and he looooooved to dance.
 

The VIP.

The boys helping (to eat) all of Uncle Siope's leis.  I thought I'd seen alot of leis before.  But I was wrong.  This was insane.  Goes to show how proud everyone was of him.

The next day was the homecoming feast.  Again I was so amazed at the outpouring of love and help and food from everyone. 

Malachi with the little piggies that got sent over from another island for the party.  Vili thought they were lion heads (???) and was terrified of them.

Coconut boy.
 
Tui helping cook the pigs.  It's all done completely manually.  So for 4-6 hours they take turns rotating the pole.  That's why they taste so good, they're made with so much love. (I also learned that while cooking the pigs, the boys cook the guts of them and eat those as snacks while they wait.  Gross.) 
 
 
One of the finished products.  I was lucky enough to be seated by it's rear end.
 

I spent literally hours making and remaking a money lei for Siope to give to him at his dance.  But I left it at home and Tui wouldn't go home and get it for me.  So we gave it to him after the feast. Vili is pretending to be asleep.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: