Thursday, July 11, 2013

Woodstock school

Where to send Malachi for school was a concern for me.  After him doing so well at Montessori, I guess I had quite high standards for where I wanted him to be.  I wasn't so much worried about the academic side of it, I can always supplement education at home.  My concern was for the children he would be attending school with and the influence they could/would have on him.  I can't unteach him swear words, or racism, or bullying.  I know that all these things are at every school, but unfortuntely they are alot more prevanlent in low-income areas.  The school we're zoned for wasn't high on my list.  So I started putting his name on ballots with the hope he'd get in somewhere else.  My prayers were answered and he got into Woodstock, a smaller school across the river that was diverse culturally but had great reviews.

The week after we got back from Tonga, he was all prepped and ready for school.  I was in a bit of shock, that my little baby boy was not only big and walking and talking, but now going to school.  I felt like my time with him is estentially finished - he will now spend the majority of his waking hours away from me.  It made me worry; had I spent enough time playing, laughing, cuddling, teaching?  How would he fare in the big wide world?  Made me scared.  And sad.  His first day of school, I cried.  He didn't.  He was happy as larry and excited to go.


He picked this little pose up in Tonga.
   

First one there.

His classroom.
 

Lani just loved the little kid sized chairs and tables.

His favourite part of school?
The computers.
And the fact that he can actually play on them (he's not allowed to touch Mummy's laptop).

I am sure that he will love being at school, love learning, love being with his friends.  He's a great little kid and any teacher would be lucky to have him in their class.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: